Friday, August 19, 2022

Storing and Organizing my Pantone Clay Colors

Fall is just around the bend and I am back to mixing up the seasonal colors for the latest Pantone palette.  The hardest thing I find with mixing up the new line of colors is that some of the current ones I am not quite ready to give up yet.  So I will add those favorites to my permanent collection in my "Clay Color System".  I have a unique way of storing my Pantone clay colors for each season.

I am normally not a fan or big shopper at the Michael's Store but I do like some of their storage containers and many of them are made in the type of plastic that is compatible with the clay (you have to test first to be sure).  In my studio I have these photo cases that I keep many of my "canes" or clay veneers organized.  You can buy them individually or the best deal is the case that contains 16 for a special price.  I have lots in the clear that works well for seeing what is inside easily but I also like the multi-colored ones (as in the photo shown above) so I can coordinate with my clay colors and find the ones I want quicker.


These photo boxes fit perfectly in the media storage shelf that I have next to my clay mixing table.  Each season I add the latest Pantone colors to the photo boxes and arrange them on my shelf so they are handy.  You can see the latest fall colors here which I will be sharing the recipes for very soon!  I also like to keep my favorite colors from previous seasons there as well along with colors I use the most, including my base mixes. 



I generally like to use these containers to keep any prepared clay veneers or pieces for later use.  I cut up acetate sheets (same sheets used for laminating) in 4"x6" rectangles so I can stack several layers inside a box.  The circles below, for instance are ready to use for my interchangeable snaps or as earrings.



Of course I do not keep all my clay color recipes in these boxes as that would require hundreds! But they are great when I mix up large batches of my favorite colors and such.  And if you do not have shelf space to keep them, you can always use the storage case that they come in as well.

So I will be sharing the Pantone Fall Fashion Colors with you in the next day or so.  If you want a head start, here is a clue:  Check out the labels on the cases that show the 10 colors in the photo above.  Two of the colors are close matches to colors used in previous Pantone palettes.  Just do a search in the bar of this blog to find them.

No comments: