Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Pantone Fall Colors Caramel Cafe, Midnight & Martini Olive

Here are three more clay recipes I want to share with you from the Pantone fall 2022 fashion color collection:  Caramel Cafe, Midnight and Martini Olive.

Caramel Cafe is a soft and warm shade of brown that definitely reminds me of autumn. I am also seeing a lot of animal prints in the stores going into fall.  I generally do most of my animal prints with "canes" that I create myself but I happened to have this silk screen from Tonja and so thought I would try it out.  There are six different style prints on one silkscreen so I decided to experiment with three different clay colors and screen print all at the same time.  I lined up the Caramel Cafe for a Leopard print, a white for the zebra and a grey for the snake.



I then screen printed all three colors at the same time in black and this is the result.  So now I need to decide what I will create with it.

Midnight is a dark blue similar to denim.  In fact I have used this exact blue recipe to create some of my faux denim pieces.  In order to do this, all you need is actual denim fabric to use as your texture!  I just create a thick sheet of smooth clay, spray the denim fabric and clay with water as a mold release and then run it through the pasta machine together on a thinner setting.  (Tip: this does not work with Fimo clay as fimo reacts badly to water and will become really wierd and gummy so best to do this with any other type of clay).


By the way, the Midnight blue clay shown above here looks a bit lighter but that is because it will darken after it is baked.  In fact many of the Kato clay colors will change slightly after baking and so when I first create my recipes I generally allow for this factor and the final color match test is after it is baked.

So here are some denim snaps and earrings I have created using this exact blue color.  After texturing, I create my pieces and bake.  After baking I will rub in white acrylic paint (make sure it is acrylic or compatible with the clay) and then rub off any excess until I get the look that I want.  I will then bake again to make the paint adhere to the clay more.


Martini Olive is a rich olive green and slightly darker than the Olive green in my Clay Color System.  It is also one of my favorite colors I like to wear and create with.  It combines well with so many colors and is more of a shade of green for fall rather than spring or summer.  Here are some finished pieces that I created using the same olive green combined with other colors that might not be specific to this falls Pantone color palette but are very similar:


So here are the three color recipes using Kato clay:

Caramel Cafe
4 parts Kato Brown
1/2 part Ecru Base # 2-7 *

Midnight
3 parts Navy Blue # 9-7 *
1 part Kato Pearl

Martini Olive
Follow clay recipe for Olive Green # 7-8 *
Add 1 part Kato Black

*Note: These base color mixes are found in my Clay Color System Tutorial.


No comments: