Thursday, January 18, 2018

Pantone Spring 2018 Fashion Colors Emperador, Chili Oil and Cherry Tomato

When I mixed up the two Pantone Spring colors, Emperador and Chili Oil my first question was why did they add these to this collection?  For quite a few years now, Pantone always had 10 top fashion colors for each season and for some reason they decided to have 12 this time.  In my opinion, these last two do not belong and are more suited to fall.  Due to my (prejudiced) thinking, I also left these color recipes for the very last to share with you!  The other reason was the whole time I was wondering what the heck I was going to do with them!?  lol

So I was determined to figure out some combinations that looked somewhat acceptable and I actually surprised myself!  And I only whipped these stacked mokume sheets up a few hours ago so I didn't get a chance to make anything with them yet but am quite excited to tackle it tomorrow!

So my first combination that I came up with was Arcadia, Lime Punch and Cherry Tomato.  I love how this combination provided enough blending but contrasted as well.  The colors really pop and remind me of a fiesta on a bright summer day.


As much as I liked the first combination, I decided I wanted something a little lighter, so added some of the Meadowlark.  I think I like this one even more and noticed where the red and yellow blended there was some peach peaking through that is similar to the Blooming Dahlia, without even adding any.


Finally I still had to mix up something with the Emperador (brown) and Chili Oil.  After a few attempts I finally came up with this combination that I absolutely love!  While it does not seem like spring or summer colors to me, I find it has a real Southwest or Arizona feel.  So with the Emperador and Chili Oil, I added some of the Arcadia and Blooming Dahlia.  I also played around with the thicknesses which is what I would suggest if you are thinking of trying this combination.


So here are the recipes for the last three Pantone spring colors using Kato clay.  Also, if you have my Clay Color System, then you already have two of the recipes which are noted below:

Cherry Tomato
1 part Kato Red
2 parts Kato Orange

Emperador
Same as clay recipe
"Tanned Leather" # 3-6 *

Chili Oil
Same as clay recipe
"Chili Pepper" # 4-4 *


* Note:  These clay color recipes are created using Kato Polyclay.  Any of the base color "mixes" used are from my Clay Color System.

Tomorrow I will have the recipe cards ready for you to download and print out so you can add your baked clay color chips.

No comments: