Saturday, February 20, 2010

Pantone Spring 2010 Colors

We finally have all our displays in order and ready for the show coming up next week.  I've been also mixing up some new colors for our new spring and summer jewelry collection.  I have my favorite color combinations I like to use but for more inspiration, I follow the Pantone Fashion Color Report.

I love the colors for this spring -- they are really alive and vibrant.  And of course the color turquoise is chosen as the color of the year which is a favorite for many people.


Some time ago I invested in a Pantone Color Guide.  They look the same as the color chips you can pick up in your local paint store, however, the colors are all coded and match the Pantone Fashion Colors.  These are great when mixing my clay colors for a close match.


I look up the color codes, mix my clays to match the colors, and then make a new color sheet with my clay chip samples and clay recipes on them.


I was hoping to have some finished pieces in these new colors to show you but will have to post them tomorrow.  In the meantime, wishing you colorful dreams.

3 comments:

DVArtist said...

This years color is so much better than last years, as far as I am concerned. LOL. Good luck with your show.

Nicole/Beadwright

Anonymous said...

How do you look up the colors and then match them to the Kato clay?

2 Good Claymates said...

Christy, when Pantone announces the season's colors the pantone numbers are there and I look up the numbers in my pantone color book. I then combine my own colors using the Kato clay until I get the right mix. It is just a matter of knowing whether to add more or less of certain colors and by experimenting.

It depends if you understand the concepts of the color wheel and how to mix colors (primaries, etc.). If this is difficult for you, I would highly recommend the book Polymer Clay Color Inspirations by Lindly Haunani and Maggie Maggio.