Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Floating Rock!



While in Vancouver a few weeks ago I had the opportunity to spend a little time with Joan Tayler, one of my a polymer clay friends.  Her work is very creative and beautiful and it was nice to catch up and share what we've been up to the last few months.  While shopping for clay and supplies, she showed me some Fimo in a Granite color.  I wasn't aware they made a granite type clay and as soon as I saw it I had to have some as it was exactly what I needed for a project I was working on.

After I made my "stone", I noticed when I went to sand it, that it floated in the water!  How cool is that?!!  Well this is what I did .. (sorry I don't have more photos).   I first formed the basic shape I wanted out of crumpled tin foil and then covered it with my conditioned granite clay.  I wanted a slight greenish tinge so I added a few drops of "lettuce" alcohol ink.  I didn't add too much as it always darkens slightly after firing.

After baking I sanded it until it was smooth but I'm not going to buff it as I want the nice matte finish as it looks more realistic that way.

I won't be able to show you the finish project yet as it will be one of my pieces I will be  submitting into a juried art show this summer.  Let's just say there will be a gecko involved somehow!



No comments: