Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Studio Redo -- Improvising

Our clay table is a little unusual but works for us.  We placed a formica countertop (from Ikea) onto two metal wire shelf units.  We inserted pieces of nonslip shelf liner between the poles and countertop to prevent it from moving and adjusted the shelves to fit some baskets we purchased from the dollar store that work like drawers.  We had several rubbermaid type drawer units that fit perfectly as well.  Voila!  Instant desk.  Because the counter is formica I can use it for claying on and don't need a special mat or glass board.


Here is how I store my mixed clay colors.  Each one is wrapped and then kept in snack size ziplock bags and tagged with the color number that coordinates with my color recipe book.  Dave teases that there is a little of Mr. Monk in me and I think he is right! lol!


We were in need of a proper table to hold the photo light box we purchased a little while ago.  I then came up with using the same idea as our clay table.  Fortunately the same shelves were on sale at half price so was good timing.   We just placed some particle board on top this time which I will probably cover with some cloth later on when I have more time.


I then added more baskets and drawers below for more storage.  We can keep our camera accessories and photo props close at hand.

3 comments:

Karen M said...

Thanks for the peek into your studio. I feel a trip to Ikea coming in the near future, just gotta finish the re-organisation of my space.

Pearson StudiOCD; ObsessiveCreativeDisorder said...

Hello 2 Good Clay Mates. I have been following your blog for quite sometime and enjoy it very much. I too am undergoing a studio makeover, so your storage suggestions are coming in handy. I especially like little gray units with storage bins that you found at walmart. That will come in handy for my jewelry findings, large beads and Steam Punk paraphernalia. I have posted a link to your blog in my last blog post regarding your studio redo. I hope you do not mind.

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

To tell you the truth Carolyn, I am a little envious of your studio re-do. I desperately want and need to move my studio to a larger room in the house, but just haven't been able to squeeze out the time. I love reading about your storage ideas. Gives me some great ideas to add to my studio when I do find the time. Thanks!