Friday, October 2, 2009

A New Wrinkle on Things


    
I've been experimenting with my plaid cane and came up with this set that looks like draped tartan plaid cloth.  I've been thinking about new styles for my earrings and pendants than the same usual round shape.  I had my cane slices laying on my table and it suddenly dawned on me -- why not actually make it look like real cloth?

    

To do this I slice a thicker piece off my cane and smooth it out.  I then texture it to look more like a cloth.  I like to use the mesh bags from veggies but real cloth with a nice open weave also works well.  I just spritz my cane slices with water and place them between a double layer of the mesh and gently apply pressure with my roller.  I then flip it over and do the same for the other side.

I added touches of gold mica powder to the edges and the back of the pendant and the edges of the earrings.  To create the folds or wrinkles, I tuck wads of paper towel underneath for support while baking.



I coated them after with some satin Diamond Flecto Varathane to protect the mica powders from wearing off and to add a nice rich sheen.

I wore my prototype set (below) out the other day and had many looks and positive comments.


6 comments:

Marie said...

Oooh, I really like these pieces! I love anything with a tartan feel! Will be checking back again to see what other lovelies you're creating!

Lisa Martin said...

very cool!

2 Good Claymates said...

Thanks so much. I think this is one of my favorite sets .

Unknown said...

How fabulous, Carolyn, I love what you did with your plaid cane ! The colors are fantastic.

joan tayler said...

You are amazing. And picked up by Polymer Clay daily. I am impressed.

2 Good Claymates said...

Thanks Dora -- and thank-you for the original plaid cane idea!

Oh Joan -- where would I be without you? I'm still forever glad that I met you and took that very first class from you!