Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Making Paisley Buttons

I came across a small handbag in a second time around shop the other day.  The bag wasn't so interesting but what caught my attention was the button that was attached for a closure.  It was quite cheapy looking with a mirrored metallic finish but what I did notice was the great textured design it had.  I had to buy the handbag and as soon as I got home I couldn't wait to make a mould from that button.  Below is a photo of the button on the left and the mould I made on the right.



After baking my mould I had to try it out as soon as it cooled!  I was so amazed at the design I saw that I didn't see in the original piece.  What I saw was one large round button design plus 2 unique paisley shapes within.  I made another impression and then carefully cut around the shapes to make smaller buttons.  I then "painted" them with mica powders to add the rich metallic colors and after baking they were coated with a varathane for a nice shiny finish.





Imagining these buttons on a blouse or sweater!  Or wouldn't they make cute paisley earrings and a pendant !?  Or what about bracelet links?  So many more ideas and all just from one button!

4 comments:

LindaG said...

What a great find Carolyn.

You must be so pleased with your great discovery - the mini-paisley button are adorable!

I'm inspired to search more dilegently through the buttons at Value Village on my next hunt. What a great idea.

Moushka said...

These are gorgeous! Love the mica effect. Is that Pearl Ex or ....? You've awakened my interest in second-hand stores :)

BluMoon said...

Buttons do make wonderful molds don't they and yours turned out really nice.
I love your 'tartan cloth' pendant and earrings in an earlier post they make a real attention catcher.

2 Good Claymates said...

Thanks so much -- I love scouting around for odd and unusual things. I have some friends that love shopping with me as I have a knack for finding uncanny things sometimes. lol !